As previously mentioned, both Ian and I recently received our final occupancy permits for our houses. It could never have happened without the help of our friends and neighbors, so as a thank you to them, we threw a party this weekend. It was very successful by rural standards — nearly 30 people!
It was a pretty standard barbecue of hot dogs, burgers, and side dishes. But to make things fun, I decided to decorate in a “Construction” theme. I have a few pics below, although the first one — which was supposed to show the overall decor — turned out poorly. I’m looking around to see if anyone else had a better one.
Anyway, some of the things I did:
- Tarp “tablecloth”
- Saw horse table
- Fuseboxes filled with watermelon slices and pitas
- Paint trays of deviled eggs, brownies
- PVC bowls of hummus, olives, pickles, and dips
- Cement mixer filled with ice and soft drinks
- Hardhats (lined with gallon ziplock bags) used as bowls for baked beans, pasta, and potato salad
- Home Depot 5 gallon bucket, lined with mylar and filled with Sangria
- Caution tape streamers
Overall, everyone seemed to be pretty amused by it, and I thought it turned out well.